Automation and Robotics with Lab
Learn how to design, build and test a robot while incorporating automation concepts.
This course blends multiple disciplines including Electronics, Robotic Controls, Automated Systems and PLCs to give students a well rounded education in Robotic Technology and Automation.
With its unique collection of hands-on labs, lessons, exercises, simulations and interactive media this program will prepare students for a wide range of careers in the rapidly growing Robotics Automation field.
Best of all, students will actually build, troubleshoot and operate a robot!
After you complete this distance learning Certificate course you'll be able to master automation technologies used in today's industrial environment.
Annual % Rate
32 @ $85
on-line in Course 5B.
- Includes educational resources like instructor support, a video library and online exams.
- Call (800) 243-6446 with any questions or e-mail us.
- Courses available to residents of the United States, Australia and countries located in North America. Ohio residents will be enrolled under standard tuition rates.
What You Will Learn
- How to troubleshoot robotic systems
- Understand how microprocessors work
- See how programmable controllers control automation
- Learn how electronics, circuits and sensors effect automation controls
- Why hydraulics and pneumatics move industrial robots
- Align, fit and assemble robot component parts
- How to test robotic assembles
- Develop robotic path motions
Students will understand the techniques and applications of Automation and Robotics Programming in an industrial environment. They will learn to design and implement robotic systems and apply what they learned to a career in the Automation and Robotics field.
1. DC Circuit Theory
This course covers the fundamentals of current, voltage and resistance.
Explore the principles of DC circuits including Ohm's law, Kirchhoff's laws, series and parallel circuits and equivalent circuits.
2. AC Circuit Theory
Master the principles of AC circuits, the components used, rectifiers and basic amplifiers. The principles of operation of solid state devices such as diodes are explored along with analog circuits and subsystems commonly found in the field of industrial controls.
This course will explore the application of semiconductors in practical circuits with emphasis on power supplies and deal with unregulated and regulated power supplies.
3. Automation Systems
Learn about the full spectrum of Industrial maintenance and control, from servomechanisms to instrumentation. The components, circuits, instruments, control techniques, calibration, tuning and programming associated with industrial automated systems are introduced.
This course will focus on the operation, rather than mathematical design concepts.
4. Microcontrollers and Robotics
This course is intended to explain what a microcontroller is through the use of Parallax Inc.'s BASIC stamp microcontroller module and then implement the microcontroller in teh design, construction and programming of the autonomous robot Boe-Bot.
This course was designed to provide hands-on applications of microcontrollers for the purpose of programming and controlling robotics.
Open Enrollment Policy
CIE has an open enrollment policy so you can start this program at anytime.
One of the advantages of enrolling with CIE is that you can study at your own pace. Some students go through the program slowly, others at an accelerated level so we can accommodate almost any arrangement that suits you best.
- 48 lessons
- Completion Time Allowed: 12 Months
- Clock hours: 480
This lab includes hands-on exercises that will show you how to design, build and program an autonomous robot.
It's a great orientation to electrical and computer engineering with lessons on circuits, components, instrumentation, and electronic prototyping. In addition, students learn how to troubleshoot computer hardware and software.
Starting with basic movement and proceeding to sensor-based projects, students quickly learn how the Boe-Bot is expandable for many different robotic projects including how to interface a small semi-autonomous wheeled robot to a microprocessor.
Distance Education Learning
This program was created specifically for the distance education student. Experience a step-by-step method of learning that allows you to master each lesson and move on to more complex topics!
Learn at Home!
Study at times that are most convenient for you. All the course material needed to complete this course (part kits, labs and textbooks) will be sent to your home and you can take your exams online on our e-Grade web site.
Full Time Instructor Assistance
Our highly trained instructors are only a phone call away (or e-mail) from providing you with reassuring assisance whenever you need it. They will work directly with you one-on-one to answer your questions and provide you with technical assistance when needed!
Robotics Technicians and Electro-Mechanical Technicians build, install, test, or maintain robotic equipment or related automated production systems.
Some of their daily functions include:
• Troubleshoot robotic systems using knowledge of microprocessors • Disassemble and reassemble robots • Align, fit, or assemble component parts using hand tools and power tools • Test performance of robotic assemblies, using instruments such as oscilloscopes and electronic voltmeters.
The US Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics expects the Electro-Mechanical Technician field to continue to grow from 2012 to 2022.
DC Circuit Theory
• Current and Voltage
• Controlling Current and Voltage
• The Three Basics of Electric Circuits: Voltage, Current, and Resistance
• Ohm's Law, Conductors, and Insulators
• Parallel Circuits
• Equivalent Circuits
• Applications of Kirchhoff's Laws
• Series-Parallel Circuits
• Voltage and Power
• Simplifying Circuit Analysis by Using Kirchhoff's Laws
AC Circuit Theory
• Vital Statistics of AC Circuits
• Magnetism and Magnetic Circuits
• Induced Voltage and Current
• Mutual Inductance and Magnetic Coupling
• Electrical Charges and Capacitance
• Capacitors in Action
• Currents and Voltages in AC Circuits
• Using Semiconductor Diodes
• Operation of Semiconductor Devices
• Unregulated Power Supplies
• Regulated Power Supplies
• Binary Coding and Computer Arithmetic
• Important Digital Integrated Circuits
• Industrial Control Overview
• Methods and Operation of the Controller
• DC Motors and Drives
• AC Motors and Drives
• Servo Motors and Servomechanisms
• Pressure Systems and Temperature Control
• Flow Control and Level Control Systems
• Analytical and Industrial Instrumentation
• Detection Sensors
• Programmable Controllers
• PLC Programming, Interfacing and Troubleshooting
• Motion Control
• Industrial Networking
Microcontrollers and Robotics
• Hardware, Software and LEDs
• Pushbuttons and Controlling Motion
• Measuring Rotation and Digital Displays
• Pushbuttons, Piezoelectric Speaker and Controlling Motion
• Testing the Servos
• Assembling the Boe-Bot
• Navigation – Tactical and Whiskers
• Navigation with Phototransistors
• IR Navigation
• Robotic Distance Control and Detection
End of Lessons Required for Certificate.
Once you finish all 48 lessons you’ll have earned a Certificate in Automation and Robotics Control and the confidence necessary to start a new career.
Student Textbook Responsibilities
Students are responsible for purchasing a limited number of textbooks for this course that are not included in tuition. Please call an Admissions Advisor at (800) 243-6446 if you have any questions.
Approved by the Ohio State Board of Career Colleges and Schools to offer postsecondary programs of electronics technology, computer technology and electronic engineering technology. Registration Certificate 70-11-0002H.
Cleveland Institute of Electronics has been an accredited business with the Better Business Bureau since 1964 with an outstanding rating.
A Better Business Bureau Accredited Business rating means the Better Business Bureau has determined that the business meets accreditation standards, which include a commitment to make a good faith effort to resolve any consumer complaints.